Here's an easy recipe to make your own!
- 1 cup dried kidney beans — rinsed, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 cups long-grained rice
- 3 cups water 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 allspice berries
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger Kosher salt Black pepper
- 1 approx. 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- salt (to taste)
- In a large saucepan, cover the beans with the water and bring to a moderate boil
- Add the onion, scallions, garlic, allspice, thyme, scotch bonnet, ginger, salt
- Stir in coconut milk and bring to a simmer
- Cover and simmer over low heat until beans are tender
- This is the delicate part; it lasts about 1 hour. Adjust the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer.
- You may use a pressure cooker to somewhat accelerate this part.
- Stir in the rice and cook over medium heat until rice is visible above the water
- Simmer over low heat until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, approx 15~20 minutes
- Serve hot